Sunday, March 21, 2010

Social Networking in Schools

Social networking is here to stay. At least it seems that way. We are supposed to meet our students where they are "at" and raise them to a higher level of learning. If a primary source of communication is a social network then we are missing the boat if we fail to utilize one. In a forum about social networking in schools on the Teacher Librarian Ning, Karen Lippencott stated "we are supposed to meet our students where they are "at" and raise them to a higher level of learning. If a primary source of communication is a social network then we are missing the boat if we fail to utilize one." I like Karen believe that we should meet our students where they are "at" and raise them to a higher level of learning. If a primary source of communication is a social network then we are missing the boat if we fail to utilize one. So what does that mean with regard to social networks in schools? I personally think that it is time for us to embrace them. As an elementary school teacher I have several students that love to meet online to chat, play games, or search for information. I find it fascinating that my fourth graders come to school recounting online conversations they've had via Google chat with their classmates. One student was even able to get a homework assignment this way!

This class has opened my eyes in a multitude of ways and using Web 2.0 applications in the classroom has been one of the most inspiring. Since I did Ning for my tech tip I've been tossing around the idea about how to use it with students. I presented an idea to my grade level and we're currently in the process of developing a Ning site for our fourth grade students. Unfortunately social networking sites are blocked at my school so our students will not have access to it on school grounds. That has led us to design a Ning site that will be up and running just before spring break with an emphasis on keeping the wheels in their heads moving before the CRCT. We're designing a test prep Ning. This site will feature blogs or forums about reading and math topics. Reading related blogs can serve as a literature circle or book club discussion. One forum is designed to initiate conversation comparing the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie to the book. Students will be encouraged to post titles of good books they've read. Story starters will be provided for students to finish writing an ending. Students will be asked to do or highlight certain aspects of their writing. For example, highlighting vivid verbs or words that are homophones. Math practice activities will include a computation problem of the day as well as a word problem for students to solve. We've used a lot of photographs in math this year and will feature a Geometry in My World photo album where students can add photos that highlight people, places, or things they find during their break that relate to geometry. The events section will feature events at local neighborhood facilities that students can participate in such as programs at the public library or book signings at the local bookstore. Students who access and contribute to the Ning will receive praise on the site as well as when we return to school after spring break.

Since safety is one of the major concerns of schools considering the implementation of social networks. Our Ning will be a secure site with certain features disabled to ensure the safety of our students. As an extra precautionary measure we will be notifying parents about the site and inviting them to preview it before allowing their child to join. I think it would be awesome if this were something we could have access to at school as well. While I understand wanting to keep students away from things like cyberbullying and online predators I think that schools need to take a good look at their policies regarding social networks. It's a fact of life that there are bad and terrible things in this world. That doesn't mean that we avoid them and hope they'll go away. We celebrate Red Ribbon week each year at school telling students about the dangers of drugs and how they can avoid them. Shouldn't we employ the same type of education with regard to social networks? Since they are very real things that students are likely to encounter and have the ability to enhance learning it's a win win situation in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard of Ning until I read your post. I am going to look into it, as I feel my fifth grade students would also be able to utilize the site. Many students have and use MySpace and FaceBook already, so they are familiar with social networking sites. However, the safety factor within the school setting is and should be a concern. However, I do know that many of my students are far more computer savvy than I, and it would be a terrible waste of a teachable moment not to use their resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of students utilizing social networking sites the first thing I worry about is cyberbullying as you mentioned. It seems to have died down a little in my school this year, but in past years we had many problems with cyberbullying. As a mother of two young daughters, this is a fear of mine for the future as technology will only become more accesible for our children. With that being said, I completely agree with you that we need to continuing educating our students on how to safely and respectfully use social networking sites.

    ReplyDelete